Discover the Best Contacts for Astigmatism
Having bad eyesight is horrible. It gets even worse if you have astigmatism. People who do not know what this is, can count themselves lucky as it means they have likely never suffered from it, however, it pays to be informed. For the record, astigmatism is an eye condition wherein the cornea is not an even sphere. One side may be flatter or more curved than the other thus the light is not able to enter the lens correctly. This is a terrible condition and really causes the most excruciating headaches.
People who have this can wear glasses that may provide temporary relief and yet if you prefer contact lenses to glasses, you may need to look for the ones especially made for people with this condition. There was a time when people with astigmatism had no hope of being able to wear contacts but times have changed and these days, you can wear the same soft lenses as everyone else but you need to make sure they are toric.
To find contacts for astigmatism that best fit your needs, it is a good idea to learn about the ones offered by different brands and different variations of their contact lenses. Below, you will find a list of contact lens brands that you may want to check out.
Ultimate Contacts for Astigmatism Comparison Guide and Key
- Replacement Schedule
- UV Protection
- Easy Handling
- Package Size
Here are some terms used for these contacts for astigmatism.
- Class I – blocks at least 90% UV-A and 99% UV-B radiation. It’s one of the highest UV protection available in any contact lens.
- Class II – blocks up to 82% UV-A and 97% UV-B radiation – One of the highest levels of UV protection available in a daily disposable contact lens.
- Silicone Hydrogel material (senofilcon A) - Provides 98% of available oxygen to the open eye. Silicone Hydrogel material (galyfilcon A) – Provides 97% of available oxygen to the open eye.
- Hydrogel material (etafilcon A) – Provides 88% of available oxygen to the open eye.
- HYDRACLEAR® Technology – Patented HYDRACLEAR® blends a remarkable moisture-rich wetting agent with a high-performance silicon hydrogel material to create a contact lens that feels silky and soft, from day to night. HYDRACLEAR® helps make contact lenses feel smooth and moist with our high-performance silicone hydrogel material. So every blink can feel silky, smooth and soft.
- HYDRACLEAR® PLUS Technology – The second generation of HYDRACLEAR® permanently embeds a higher volume of moisture-rich wetting agent, resulting in a more wettable contact lens for all-day comfort – even in challenging environments. HYDRACLEAR® PLUS makes contact lenses ultra-smooth so every blink feels almost like you’re not wearing contacts at all.
- LACREON® technology – Exclusive LACREON® permanently embeds a moisture-rich wetting agent, resulting in a fresh lens feeling and end-of-day comfort. LACREON® forms a cushion of moisture similar to your natural tears to reduce friction and maintain moisture.
- TriComfort™ Technology – Only AIR OPTIX® brand contact lens materials have TriComfort™ Technology providing long-lasting comfort throughout the day, to help you see your way to a successful day, every day.
- Blink-activated technology – Refreshing All Day Comfort with Every Blink. All DAILIES® brand contacts provide moisture every time you blink, that’s up to 14,000 times per day on average.
- AerGel makes PureVision Toric lenses exceptionally healthy. They allow natural levels of oxygen to reach your eyes, and resist protein buildup – so your eyes stay comfortable all day long and well into the night.
Review of the Top 5 Contacts for Astigmatism
ACUVUE® OASYS® Brand Contact Lenses for ASTIGMATISM
This is one of the top lenses in my book simply because it can be used as a daily lens or for extended wear. I also like the protection from UVA and UVB rays though perhaps it can be higher, it is more than good enough. The hydraclear technology gives it super wettability and a very smooth wear too.
ACUVUE® ADVANCE® Brand Contact Lenses for ASTIGMATISM
This is on top of the least due to the fact that the UVA and UVB protection is quite high. Plus it has the same hydraclear technology as the Oasys which means it has superb wettability and smoothness of wear. The reason it got knocked back to second place though is it cannot be used for extended wear.
Air Optix for Astigmatism Contact Lenses
Air Optix makes very comfortable lenses and they can be worn morning until night with minimal discomfort. The reason it is in 3rd place is that it doesn’t have UVA or UVB protection and cannot be used for extended wear.
PureVision Toric Contact Lenses for Astigmatism - Aergel gives it superior wettability and breathability. Can be work for 30 continuous days. Lenses repel debris. Can be word day to night.
These lenses are perfect for people who work well into the night and do not have time to constantly replace their contacts. The lack of UV places it in the 4th place although it is very good for astigmatic eyes.
1-Day Acuvue Moist for Astigmatism Contact Lenses
Not all dailies are bad mind you, it is just that for long trips or unexpected sleepovers, you will need to bring more than one and this can be a bother. However if you are a stickler for hygiene and lose your contacts almost daily, this may be your top choice.